Nabhi Kriya is an exercise set to develop the strength of the navel point and to get the abdominal area in shape quickly (Nabhi refers to the nerve plexus around the navel point). Working on the navel area also activates the power of the Third Chakra which is all about empowering yourself – your health, vitality, self-motivation, energy and self-esteem. If you want to kick your own butt and spark that inner drive to accomplish what you want to accomplish in your life, this is a great set to do, especially as a 40 day practice.
I have sometimes practised this kriya whilst playing music with a steady beat, which can be fun and give you extra encouragement. However you might like to experiment practising less rapidly too and enjoying the motions at your own pace.
Please note that the times indicated are for advanced students. To begin practise, start with 3 to 5 minutes for the longer exercises.
1. Lying on your back, inhale as you lift the right leg up 90 degrees, exhale as you lower it. Repeat with left leg. Continue alternately lifting the legs, breathing deeply and powerfully for 10 minutes. This works on the lower digestive area.
2. Without pausing, lift both legs up 90 degrees as you inhale and lower them on the exhale. Keep the arms stretched up, finger tips to the ceiling, palms facing each other. 5 minutes. This works on upper digestion and the solar plexus.
3. Wrap your arms around your shins, hugging your knees to your chest, resting your head on the floor. Rest here for 5 minutes, to eliminate any trapped gas and to relax your heart.
4. Beginning in position 3, inhale as you open the arms out to the sides on the ground and extend the legs straight at 60 degrees. Exhale as you return to the original position hugging the shins. Repeat this movement, continuing for 15 minutes. This charges your magnetic field, the protective energy around your body.
5. Hold your left knee to your chest with both hands as you rapidly raise the right leg up 90 degrees as you inhale and down as you exhale, for 1 minute, then switch legs and repeat for 1 minute. Repeat the cycle once more. This sets the hips and lower spine.
6. Stand up straight, raising the arms overhead, hugging the ears, palms facing the ceiling as you deeply inhale. Exhale as you slowly bend forward to touch the ground, whilst applying a mulbandh (squeezing the muscles around the anus, sex organs and navel point). Continue slowly for 2 minutes and then more rapidly for 1 minute. This is for the entire spinal fluid and the aura.
7. Relax or meditate for 10 minutes.